Yes, according to me Hydroponics is going to rule the agriculture world in coming years. Many people think of hydroponics as growing plants in water, but hydroponics production actually is defined as growing plants without soil. This production system may use a wide variety of organic and inorganic materials. The nutrient solution, rather than the media in which the plants are growing, always supplies most of the plant nutrient requirements. This method of growing has also been referred to as nutrient-solution culture, soil less culture, water culture, gravel culture and nutriculture.
Advantages of Hydroponics
• Land is not necessary. It can be practiced even in upstairs, open spaces and
in protected structures.
• Low drudgery. No need of making beds, weeding, watering, etc.
• Continuous cultivation is possible.
• No soil borne diseases or nematode damage.
• Off-season production is possible.
• Vegetable cultivation can be done with leisure sense.
• Many plants were found to give yield early in hydroponics system.
• Higher yields possible with correct management practices.
• Easy to hire labour as hydroponics system is more attractive and easier than
cultivation in soil.
• No need of electricity, pumps, etc. for the non-circulating systems of solution
• Water wastage is reduced to minimum.