World population would not be a problem if there were unlimited land, unlimited water, unlimited resources. Unfortunately, with overpopulation, there is the problem of sharing the small sized bread with smaller and smaller portion. The best way for the countries who are facing the problem of overpopulation is to maximise the water use efficiency at all the level that is at domestic, industry and agriculture sector. Here we are only discussing about the using the available water in the best way.
Some of the best ways to increase the water efficiency in the agriculture sector:
1. Technology - Implement the use of more water efficient irrigation systems like sprinklers or drip irrigation.
2. Mechanization - Mechanize the release of water in order to increase efficiency of use.
3. Integration - Use both ground water and surface water in order to maximize the use of the freshwater supply.
4. Scheduled Irrigation - Irrigate early in the morning and at night when evaporation is at its minimum.
5. Land Preparation - Prepare the land so that it is able to take up the maximum amount of water
6. Crop Choices - Produce less water intensive crops, or crops that are more tolerant to salt water. Reduce the amount of virtual water.
Some steps to increase industrial water use.
1. Industry should reuse waste water.
2. Improved production planning and sequencing.
3. Good housekeeping practices.
4. Process/equipment modifications.
5. Replacing equipment/ technology.
6. Water pollution should be stoped.
Some steps to increase water efficiency at Domestic sector.
1. Awareness and training of people for taking steps towards using less water for day to day use.
2. Water meters for each household to regulate the water supply.